Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

The Backstage Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Student Practice Log Steves Practice Log

• Steves Practice Log

Posted by Steve on September 29, 2023 at 12:55 pm

67 years old. Would like to be able to play simple prog or rock/blues piano/organ. I have a Yamaha P125

Have done some courses but still a beginner. About ABRSM level 2 to 3

Currently on C Inversions (beginner 5 where I am findinmgmoving to the next chord very challenging, especially two hands. I also need to work a lot on the arpeggios as I am findiong the fingering a little awkward.

Also working on Lesson 6 Diatonic (C) but this is much easier.

I am also working on a song from another course (simple arrangement) as part of my routine

Steve replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Marine

Administrator
    September 29, 2023 at 2:00 pm

Amazing!
    Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Steve

October 1, 2023 at 9:11 am

Ok, so practiced yesterday, about an hour, warm up, Arpeggios and Inversions (C) and started beginner lesson 16.

It’s clear to me that my arpeggios are poor! One hand is not too bad but both is slow and lots of errors (2 octave). Need to work much more on these. Similarly the progression through inversions is rather slow. These seem to be areas I really need to improve early on.

Practice also includes working on a song. I have all the parts (169 bars total) but as the different sections tend to be variations on a theme remembering how the next section differs from the earlier, even with the score up is challenging. I recokjon another week on this.

It’s not a hard piece – melody right hand (8th notes) and single notes (whole notes) in left hand

• Marine

Administrator
      October 1, 2023 at 10:07 am

Amazing!

That’s how we build a good practice. So now that you know what you need to focus on. Create small routine around that and start slow, and separate hands!

• Steve

October 3, 2023 at 6:51 am

3rd October.

Short practivce yesterday as other things on. Concentrating on arpeggios and inversions. Focus on memorising hand positions and speed when moving octaves in arpeggios. Still fairly slow but hands seperate is improving.

Need to get back to teh song today as well as warm up and technique practice.

• Steve

October 12, 2023 at 1:15 pm

Still practicing but won’t report here too often as I use my Practice Book for loging practice.

By the way, book arrived and nice layout!

Arpeggios are coming along albeit slowly. Modified the movement from full thumb under to thumb under to middle of hand then rapid hand movement to next octave. I have small hands and the contnuous thumb under stretch was causing pain

• Marine

Administrator
      October 12, 2023 at 3:20 pm

Amazing! I’m glad! 🙂
      For your arpeggios, If you want to share a video of you playing I could just take a look to make sure you’re placing your hand properly so you don’t hurt yourself! 🙂 You can share a link here or in the private facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/onlinerocklessonsstudents

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Marine.
  • Steve

October 13, 2023 at 12:09 pm

Great idea. I’m away for a few days but I’ll try and get a video sometime next week

• Steve

October 13, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Todays practice,

10 min warmup; stretches, Hanon 1 C and Am 2 octave, scales A, E Am 2 octaves

10 min Tech. C and Am arpeggios, 2 octave sep and together

10 min Chords C inversions together 60pm is still a real struggle. C progression

Sight reading, few minutes of this

Now aiming for about 45 song!

• Steve

October 20, 2023 at 12:20 pm

Hi Marine

I sent a link of an arpeggio video via email. If that’s not ok or doesn’t work, I’ll try as you suggest. I’m not sure at the moment how to get the link from Dropbox to post in the forum

• Steve

November 12, 2023 at 8:30 am

Just chercking in. Been on holiday for two weeks so need to get back to practicing!

Unpacking today then practice starts tomorrow. Hopefully, not fallen back too far

• Marine

Administrator
      November 13, 2023 at 11:47 am

Amazing! Welcome back! 🙂

• Steve

November 17, 2023 at 2:52 pm

Some advice please. I am using Train Like A Rock Star as part of my technical practice (alternate with Dozen A Day). I am really stuck on page 21 3rds and moving fingers to the F#. Bar 3 and 7 in particular are very hard and I cannot get a smaooth movement. I have to stop and move the fingers. I’ve trying this for a while now. Left hand is much worse than right.

I know the finger numbers, its just getting them in the right place. Are there any videos of the finger movements?

Thanks

• Marine

Administrator
      November 17, 2023 at 8:55 pm

Hey Steve!

Yes, let me take a look at it! If it’s good with you I could make a demonstration at the next Q&A, next week. Would it be okay with you?

• Steve

November 18, 2023 at 7:38 am

Hi, that would be great. I can’t make the next Q&A. I have a club meeting on Weds evenings (UK) but can catch up on the portal once posted.

• Marine

Administrator
      November 18, 2023 at 1:58 pm

perfect!

• Steve

December 10, 2023 at 2:03 pm

Hi Marine

After your live session I now understand how to arrange my hands on these but am still struggling to get anything smooth. I’m sure it will come but rather than obsessing about these thirds, I think I’ll move on and continue to the D major set of exercises and fold these thirds in G and D in to that. Hopefully, the finger positions will get more natural. I do have problems getting my fingers betwen the black keys!

• Marine

Administrator
          December 14, 2023 at 11:47 am

I’m glad! Take your time !!

• Steve

January 8, 2024 at 2:10 pm

ah well, disasters happen!

No practice for several weeks before Christmas for pre-christmas committments – then came 3 weeks of FLU! While unfit to practice and slowly recovering managed to badly bruise a knuckle which then became very swollen (just now going down), difficult/painful to bend and finally now have a finger infection on my right hand and taking antibiotic cream 4 times per day

Sympathy please ! Hopefully, I can start to slowly build up to practicing again soon….