Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

The Backstage Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Courses Related Discussion Question for Marine – how to arrange beginner course lessons in a practice routi

• Question for Marine – how to arrange beginner course lessons in a practice routi

Posted by Steve on September 29, 2023 at 1:00 pm

Hi

I’m a bit unclear how to use the course. I use lessons 1 and 2 as a short warmup each day. For the subsequent lessons though, how should I put these into a pratice routine. For example, I am Ok lesson 3, but need more work lesson 4 and 5, not so much lesson 6.

Do I work 4 and 5 until completely familiar and then go to lesson 6 (this seems a bit boring) or do a bit of 4 and 5 and subsequent lessons?

Advice please!

Steve replied 6 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Marine

Administrator
    September 29, 2023 at 2:08 pm

Hey Steve!

I’m guessing you’re talking about the Piano Method Beginner right?
    In any case, I would say spend more practice time on what is difficult for you.
    I think that in this case you can work a little on lesson 4-5 and try the next lessons too. It’s all about dividing your practice time so you can work on different aspects of your playing!

You can see the lesson 1 to 14 as the theory part of the course and the lesson 15 to 20 as the application exercises. So if you’re comfortable with notes and some of the rhythms you can also try to start lesson 15 as a side exercise.
    A good practice routine should have: Warm Ups, Technique, Theory, Sight Reading/chords and Song!
    You can move around with these elements.
    Hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything else!

• Steve

September 30, 2023 at 11:07 am

Hi

Many thanks, thats a good start

• Steve

October 1, 2023 at 9:13 am

Hi Marine

Another qiuick one (sorry about then questions). In the C arpeggios, left hand has 5,4,2,1. THis feels uncomfotable for me and 5,3,2,1 feels better. Is the 5,4,2,1 degfinitely the best way to go (for example long term) or is the 5,3,2,1 acceptable?

• Marine

Administrator
      October 1, 2023 at 10:05 am

Hey!

no worries about your questions I’m here for that! 🙂
      So, the ”real” fingering is really 5,4,2,1 saying the old classical teachers haha. So that’s why I’m teaching it this way, just because it’s how it’s supposed to be.
      But to be very honest you’re not the only one having trouble with this! The 5 and 4 are not easy fingers to work on, that’s why it might be a good thing to try these fingering actually!

The goal here is to have fun and play songs, so unless you wanna go study classical music in a next future, I’d say don’t go crazy with that and don’t hurt yourself!
      But yeah, the ”proper” way to play the major arpeggios would be with the 4.

• Steve

October 2, 2023 at 10:58 am

Thanks Marine.