Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

The Backstage Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Platform Updates and Suggestions Discussion Midi files for backing tracks?

• Midi files for backing tracks?

Posted by Clinton on July 1, 2023 at 1:43 pm

Any possibility of providing midi backing tracks in addition to audio tracks? It would be a bit simpler in my setup particularly when practicing to metronome and/or adjusting tempo. Not a big deal, but figured it was worth asking

Marine replied 9 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Marine

Administrator
    July 1, 2023 at 7:02 pm

Hey!

I wish I could but most of the back tracks are recorded audio!
    What software are you using?
    Marine

• Clinton

July 4, 2023 at 9:01 am

I run on a Linux system – Ardour for a DAW – but mostly trying to avoid the computer for music. Ardour runs great, but has a full blown feature set which is overkill for what I need to do most of the time.

With my current setup I’m trying to just have a simple hardware solution that i can turn on and practice at any time with no fuss. If I have to plug in my laptop, reconfigure software and plug in keyboards/audio – I’m just less likely to practice. I’m often practicing by taking 15 minute breaks from my regular work – so the laptop has to do double duty and switching back and forth kills a lot of my practice time.

My practice rig is just Mojo Suitcase organ and a Beat Buddy drum pedal into an HX Stomp effects (minimal extra effects in this usage – mostly using it for a simple mixer and a little Amp Sim if I want a dirtier sound) Plus I have a small midi looper so I can record raw midi and just loop a 12-bar blues pattern for instance and in combination with beat buddy create my own backing tracks. What I’ll probably do is try to emulate the audio backing track as best I can with looper and beat buddy – that way I have tempo control over the combo. The looper can take regular midi files on an SD card, so I figured if you already had them, I could just load them instead of trying to recreate them mysefl. I’m probably fine with simple backing tracks, more complex are probably beyond my skills at this point.

What I will probably do for now is just run the organ in mono and stick the backing track in the other side of the stereo input from my phone. I might be able to run it in stereo into the beat buddy as well – it has an input for guitar so you can mix the drums with live guitar.

No biggie – just figured I’d ask.

I’m going to try and set up a thread in the practice forum.

• Marine

Administrator
      July 4, 2023 at 4:09 pm

Ok amazing! 🙂