Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

The Backstage Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Student Practice Log Clint’s Practice Log

• Clint’s Practice Log

Posted by Clinton on July 4, 2023 at 9:09 am

Going to try using the practice log feature to make my practice routine more consistent and organized.

I travel (by car) rather frequently, so when I’m on the road my practice routine gets quite disrupted. I’m hoping to remedy this and will document accordingly.

My home rig right now consists of a Crumar Mojo Suitcase dual manual organ (Hammond clone) and a Beat Buddy drum pedal as a fancy metronome to hold down a beat. These go into a Line 6 HX Stomp XL effects pedal – which for practice purposes I’m just using as a simple mixer with some amp simulation if I want a grittier tone. I also have a small midi looper connected to the organ so I can record/playback some parts and focus my playing/practice on just pieces rather than struggling to put the whole package together.

[can you post photos into these forums?]

Marine replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Clinton

July 4, 2023 at 9:17 am

I’m mostly here for the organ centric content, but am planning to organize my study by doing the content in parallel. I’m a little beyond some of the basic intro stuff, but am going through them a couple lessons at a time from the very beginning as I find Marine’s emphasis and way of presenting concepts often reveal little things I wasn’t aware of (since I have no formal training background – just picking things up as I go along in life). So good to start from square one. But don’t want to get bored with the simple stuff, much of which I can already do. So Day 1 – do a couple basic lessons, Day 2 do a lesson on an intermediate/advanced organ topic (starting with Jon Lord module),, Day 3 do a lesson from a song-based module. Each day I usually warm up with 3-5 minutes just playing the Green Onions groove, then practice the concents from the previous couple of days, then dive into the current days program. Day 4 move ahead with day 1, Day 5 – move ahead from Day 2 etc. Hold back if I need more work, perhaps do more than1 or 2 steps if I’m feeling confident.

Anyway, that’s the plan. Today’s plan is to tackle Dorian lesson (#4?) in the Lord series, tomorrow I’ll take a look at the next step in the Green Onions tutorial.

• Clinton

August 10, 2023 at 9:17 pm

I’ve been on the road travelling for a month (no keyboard) so just getting back to practicing. Went through some of the beginner videos today. Also messing around with the August challenge (Aha – beginner for now) – looping the original in Chordify and extending it to 12/16 bars and adding some other organ-type stuff. Probably skip the intermediate (don’t play piano) and will work on the advanced one tomorrow. Not sure if I’ll record anything, but fun to play with.for now.

• Marine

Administrator
      September 11, 2023 at 10:05 pm

Amazing! Looking forward to see your progress 🙂